Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How to Get Through an AWESOME workout!! :)

I guess today all of my plans worked out perfectly including the big things like babysitting, taking care of my aunt who just had surgery, registering for school, getting my laptop back (which I am so HAPPY I got- hello blog posting from the couch!), going to the pool with my babysitting boys, and a couple of other things too. Small things were: making lunch perfectly (I was starving!), getting to eat my protein bar at the pool, and putting lotion on. I have to put lotion on every day. Sorry, I don't know why you really need to know that but I thought I'd just add that in.

But the big thing was that my running plan for the day didn't go as planned. I was planning to run a 400 workout with some guys, but at 5:00 it was still 93 degrees outside and with the heat index it felt like 100. So, one of the guys opted out and said we should go at 8. Then, it started raining and storming (which is a blessing in disquise because Iowa is so dry) and I figured they wouldn't show up so I a fast 2 mile loop and did some jumping stuff and lifted, but the lifting only lasted for about....5 minutes or not even that! I KNEW I needed that 400 workout. I need interval work and I know it. But we're planning to get the workout done tomorrow which I'm realived for, but now my whole weekly workout that was planned on Sunday needs to be replanned. I am SO Type A.

At the same time I was scared for that 400 workout and there was a part of me that feared it. Then, sitting here now, I ask myself: Why do I fear something that is just going to make me better? It is so WEIRD to wrap my head around but I will admit it. I'm scared of hard workouts. Yes, I'm scared. I'll be fine racing and trying to beat people, but I think to myself how much of a better runner I'd be if I could just do those AWESOME workouts. And it is truly ALL about attitude. Instead of thinking about how long the 400s feel, I need to think that it is only this LAP and soon I'll get a 90 second break. Or I need to think how AMAZING I'm feeling to be out running and that these 400s are just rocking my socks off. I thought of a list to help YOU (and me!) get through those hard workouts:
1. Use sarcasm to your advantage. Instead of thinking how much you are dying, say to yourself, "man these 400s are just making my heart beat fast today and they feel awesome!" Or something along those lines. I think if you're humourous with pain, it makes things go by a lot faster.
2. Think that challenging yourself makes you BETTER. 4 miles easy every day won't.
3. Think of your running schedule a pot of soup. Today's ingredient is intervals. Don't make your soup taste.....bland. As in, variety is the SPICE OF LIFE! And variety is the spice of running.
4. Have someone run with you. I am sorry, but I do need someone to pace me or yell at me or inspire me during hard runs. I just realized recently the power of running with other people and the bigger power to run with people better than you. I used to be so scared of working out with people better than me or having a coach yelling at me and watching me run, but now I am constantly looking for someone to run with.
5. Know that it is 90 seconds. You run your race way longer than that. And plus, it's way less that you run. Like, I run 2 miles total in intervals and run 5ks and 10ks. 2 miles should be easy peasy. Just be confident.

GO GET 'EM TIGER! Don't be scared of something that will make you better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are you looking most forward to?
Starting school in a week. I know. I just MISS seeing every one.

FOOD TIME:

Favorite fruit?
That is SO HARD! I love fruits like no other--like, fruit is probably 70 percent of my diet. I'd say a good ole apple or watermelon. (I just started liking watermelon this summer).

Favorite veggie?
Easy. Peas.

Favorite sandwich?
PBJ all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment