Thursday, July 26, 2012

I am a NUT!

Today's post is (wait for it):

Why I like the thought of a marathon.

I am a nut, I know. I know. But thinking about a marathon and thinking about TRAINING for a marathon makes me excited and interested all at the same time. Running mega miles and getting good workouts in seems to be just amazing to me. Especially running a lot of miles which my coach tells me I'm not a marathon runner so I shouldn't be worried about doing those miles. Sorry coach but someday I will do the marathon.

I am a a nut.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Running a lot of miles. -I love running a lot of miles during the week but I know at the high school level I can't handle it yet. Actually, I don't if I'd ever be able to handle it. I put together an almost half-marathon in 1:26 with only running 5 miles before hand but trust me, I do plently of speed workouts. I run the 2 mile and 1 mile races every track meet sometimes 3x a week. Plus then my coach makes me do a 400 which I want to kick him for, for obivous reasons. Running peeps: Does running a lot of speed stuff turn to endurance and go over to your big mile races?

2. Being able to eat a lot. -Nuff said. The way I eat now on 29 miles/week I do not want to know what it would be like training for a marathon. Actually, yes I do want to know. 

3. Finishing a long race with negative splits. -I'm so much more comfortable in longer races so I have the comfort to start slow. I feel like I have plenty of time to catch up those who go out too fast. But when I'm in a 1 mile, 2 mile, or 5K, you'll see me moving the first mile to get ahead of everyone. It's how I do. And it is such a GOOD  AMAZING feeling to finish with negative splits. YOU CAN FEEL IT AT THE END OF THE RACE!

4. Taper week. -The thought of having a week with not doing much and getting your legs refreshed after hard weeks of training.

5. People think you're nuts. Actually non-runners already thinking runners are nuts so it's good. I just think people think you're more nuts if you do  a super long race.

6. Covering that many miles seems impossible to me right now but I love doing stuff I think is impossible. It's a good feeling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While the marathon is not my goal in the near future, I will be running one later in my life. I can feel it. Right now I am focused on cross country and track and developing speed with that. I'll keep ya tuned though on how that marathon goes:)

Have you ran a marathon?! Tell me all about it!

Favorite trail race?
 For cross country we have a meet that goes back through trees and a has a nice trail and I love running that meet.

Favorite road run?
DAM TO DAM!

Favorite distance to race?
20K (12.4 miles)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment